Monday, July 26, 2010

The Frog Pond Writers Cave






Helen Woodall lives in Melbourne, Australia and is an editor for Ellora’s Cave Publishing, Inc. She edits for all lines and has quite a number of authors (frogs) in her pond. As a frogpond/EC author, I’ve learned some interesting idioms and colloquialisms between American English and Australian English. Translating edits and emails can be interesting and comical at times considering we write erotic romance. Sometimes she says, Huh? And sometimes I say, Huh? I remember one edit included the Australian term for unlocking a door that had me stumped for quite some time. Overall, I think Helen is helping me become a better writer.



Helen is fond of nature, most especially frogs. I also think her favorite place to vacation is a beach at the ocean—mine too! Her quote about frogs:

“Frogs are the most threatened group of animals on Earth. Frogs are bioindicators—dying frogs means endangered environment.”



Frogs follow her everywhere she goes. They must magically appear and multiply because new ones arrive constantly. They line her bookshelves, windowsills and desk. When she travels, frogs must accompany her. You can always tell an EC author who is a frog (one of Helen’s authors) because she will be wearing a frog pin.




Last year Helen came to RomantiCon, Ellora’s Cave convention in Richfield, Ohio and brought along many gifts and tasty treats to try. We tried Vegemite—a health food spread we put on baguette bread slices. Not bad, a bit salty, malty flavor with lots of B vitamins. The Tim Tams, a chocolate treat were yummy! The mini stuffed koala bear is in my office at work, and the pretty painted rock I keep at my writing desk and is use as a paper weight and for good luck.




This year at RomantiCon, October 7-10, 2010, Helen will again be joining us. You’ll know who she is by the frogs who are following her.





10 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to meet Helen this year! Of course I wouldn't expect her screen to have anything other than a frog on it! :)

Desiree Holt said...

Helen! I am so excited you'l be here agin this year so I can give you the hug you deserve for being so patience, caring, firm and giving wonderful direction. And being a genuinekly terrific person on top of it. I'm looking for a special frog to keep you company on the way back to Australia.

Nina Pierce said...

Helen - that's a comfy pond, errr, cave to do some editing! Can't wait to see you again in October.

Regina Carlysle said...

Oh Helen! I'm soooo glad you are making it to Romanticon again. Waiting to see you wave your Aussie flag around again! LOL. And yes...Tim Tims (food of the Gods). I'll proudly wear my froggie pin!

Helen W said...

Hi everyone
Thanks for the cute froggies Kathy. I'm looking forward to seeing you all at RomantiCon. It should be a blast! I'll teach you how to make a Tim Tam slam.
Helen

Kathy Kulig said...

You're welcome Helen. The frogs all had cute personalities. Tim Tam slam sounds like an awful lot of calories. eeeks.:) RomantiCon will be a blast this year too.

April Ash said...

Hmm...your writing/editing area is so neat...looks nothing like mine! I tell everyone, "I know it looks messy, but don't touch anything. I know where everything is."
And, love the frogs!
I'll miss RomantiCon this year...you've gotta tell me what a Tim Tam slam is! I'm addicted to Tim Tams and get them from World Market when they have them in stock.
Marianne/April

Regina Carlysle said...

Hmmmm. A tim tam slam. What? Is it stacked decadence or something? Now I'm really curious.

Helen W said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHzMfZ1FaqA
It's best with hot tea or coffee or Milo.
Helen

Kathy Kulig said...

Hey Marianne/April I'm with you. Don't move my stuff bec. I know where everything is. lol

I was wondering what the Tim Tam Slam was too, Regina. Thanks for the video Helen. Could get messy. LOL