Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Military Heroes- We All Know One or Several- #tenmilitaryheroes


I’m so excited that ROMANCING THE MILITARY MAN releases today!!!

Most everyone knows someone in the military—a family member, a friend or a loved one. Military men and women make many sacrifices and so do their families. Please feel free to share your loved one’s name in my comments so we can all send them good wishes, thoughts and prayers.

In our collection of stories we each have a romantic and adventurous story with a military hero. Each story is different so there should be something for everyone if you like these types of stories. At the beginning of the box set, we have the name of the book, the author and a blurb so you can go directly to the ones that interest you the most.

Please share your real life story with your military hero here!

Here’s one of mine: Military friend Rick and Dan- Navy and scuba instructors

I could share a few, but today I was remembering two Navy guys I worked with in Florida. Rick and Dan. Before I met them, when I was a kid we lived by a lake and I was a fish. You couldn’t get me out of the water. I’d swim all day until my lips were blue and my mom would yell for me to get out. My dad was a Navy diver and he let me use his equipment in the lake without formal training (he was there and watched me). This was the old double hose regulator, a mask that leaked because it was too big of course, fins too big also so I had to scrunch my toes or they would fall off. With my dad’s scuba gear all hooked up, I swam around the lake underwater like I was part fish and made believe I was a mermaid.

Then many years later, as an adult and living in Florida, I decided to take up scuba and get certified. I figured scuba diving would be a piece of cake. I did it as a kid with ancient equipment so this should be easy, right? Wrong! I was a klutz, kept sucking in water, couldn’t get my buoyancy right. With practice though, I did get my confidence and skills down and kept taking classes.

Rick and Dan encouraged me and I became a dive master, then helped to train other students. As a dive master, I had to assist several distressed divers and had a couple scary rescues in the ocean. Some months Rick and Dan would be deployed and I wouldn’t see them. Then one day while I was living in Fort Lauderdale, FL, I got a call. Their ship, the USS Eisenhower, an aircraft carrier, was coming into port. They wanted me do go out on a dive as their dive master. They were finishing advanced training with a number of guys on the ship. Not Navy Seals, just regular scuba lessons for PADI certification.


We did the dives off of Ft. Lauderdale and got the guys their certifications. Afterward, Rick asked me for a favor with his smirk that I knew well. (I’d worked with these guys for years and they were good friends). I thought he wanted me to do another class tomorrow. Nope. He wanted to know if these guys could come back to my apartment to shower so they could go out that evening for a little nightlife. Fort Lauderdale does have plenty of that. I told him I only have a one bedroom apartment and one bath. There were eight guys plus Rick and Dan! He assured me they would be perfect gentleman and it would be fine. They guys didn’t want to go back to the ship. I said I’d be happy to have them over if they didn’t mind sharing the one bathroom.

Rick laughed. He said they were used to close quarters on the ship.

It was early so I invited them to hang by the pool. Ha! I got some interesting looks and envious ones at that when I walked through the pool gate in my apartment complex followed by ten hunky Navy guys in bathing suits!!!

We ordered a pile of pizzas and the guys started getting ready to go out. I said don’t worry I’ll clean up and the guys said, “No, we got this. Go sit.”

I watched in awe as two guys went into my bathroom at a time and came out in record time, cleaned, shaved, and changed, while the others cleaned my kitchen, washed dishes, put them away, took out the trash, even washed the counters and kitchen floor!

After ten hunky Navy guys went through my bathroom, I figured I’d have a mess in there. I didn’t mind, these guys were nice and even called me, “Miss Kathy.” Bless their hearts.

They thanked me when they left and gave me hugs. When I checked out the bathroom, I was shocked. You would never have believed that 10 guys just took showers, shaved, etc. It was spotless. Not one drop of water on the floor, no soap remnants in the shower or sink. Every towel neatly folded.

Great times diving with Rick and Dan. I even got a tour on the USS Eisenhower. But then that’s another story…

Check out our box set collection Romancing the Military Man out now!!!


10 great stories by 10 amazing authors and for $.99. Can’t beat the deal! Check out the links to your favorite retailer below.

We’re also having a Facebook party and giving away lots of prizes with a Kindle as a grand prize! Facebook Party https://www.facebook.com/events/282992481870976/

2 comments:

Denise A. Agnew said...

Wow that is an amazing and interesting story Kathy! And thank you for being in the box set with me. You rock!!!!

Denise A. Agnew
www.deniseagnew.com

Kathy Kulig said...

Thanks Denise for stopping by. And thanks so much for all your hard work on the box set. Fabulous job! I'm thrilled to be a part of it. ;)